2021 Ford F-150 Back-Up Assist - Now THAT's Using Your Hitch!
Introducing the 2021 Ford F-150
New 2021 F-150 Explained in Detail
Introducing the 2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid
2021 F150 Power Boost Hybrid
The 2021 Ford F-150 is ready to inspire enthusiasts, prospective owners, and industry copycats upon its release early 2021. A large part of its undeniable appeal—aside from its sensational look—is its emphasis on power…
The 2021 Ford F-150 continues to build on its great tradition as a powerhouse work and leisure vehicle.
BUILT FORD TOUGH is more than a catch phrase. The 2021 F-150 is built with high-strength, military-grade aluminum-alloy body, and bed and high strength steel frame with a unique 12 sided design.
Working with aluminum alloy allows engineers to increase gauge (thickness) where needed to achieve strength without increasing weight.
The stronger F-150 weighs 700 pounds less than the previous generation. Results? Greater power to weight ratio, enhanced fuel efficiency, and best in class payload and up to 13,200 lbs of available towing.
A Closer Look at the Technology
The available 8” LCD productivity screen provides useful information, from fuel economy to towing data, all right in front of you on the instrument cluster. You can create a customized home screen using four menu options — Trip/Fuel, Truck Info, Towing, Off-Road — and access your most frequently used screens in one place. Standard in F-150 LARIAT, King RanchTM, Platinum, Limited and Raptor.
U.S. Model Shown.
F-150 EcoBoost®, V8 and diesel engines deliver their power through an advanced 10-speed automatic transmission. Compared with the 6-speed, the 10-speed delivers improved overall performance, with enhanced acceleration at the low and mid ranges of the power band. Features include optimized wide-span gear spacing coupled with drag-reduction actions plus three overdrive gears. What’s more, you can choose from selectable modes: Normal, Tow-Haul, Snow-Wet, EcoSelect, and Sport.
Power and Handling
- Axle, Front – Independent Front Suspension
- Two-Speed Automatic Four-Wheel Drive System with Neutral Towing Capability (4×4 only)
- Steering – Power Rack-and-Pinion Steering
- Fully Boxed Steel Frame
- AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™ (RSC®)
- Springs – Front, Coil
- Springs – Rear, Leaf, Two-Stage Variable Rate
- Trailer Sway Control
- Electronic 10-speed Transmission with Tow/Haul, Snow/Wet, EcoSelect and Sport Modes
- Auto Start/Stop Engine Technology
- 2.7L EcoBoost® Engine
- Fuel Tank – 87 Litre (23-gallon)
- 265/60R 18 BSW All-Season Tires (4×2 only)
- 275/65R 18 OWL All-Terrain Tires (4×4 only)
- Dual-Zone Electronic Climate Control
- 8″ Productivity Screen
- Cruise Control
- Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking
- Lane-Keeping System
- Reverse Sensing System
- Pro Trailer Backup Assist
- BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert and Trailer Coverage
- Colour-Coordinated Carpet with Carpeted Floor Mats
- Dome Light
- Fade-to-Off Interior Lighting
- Ambient Lighting (Ice Blue®)
- Flow-Through Centre Console with Floor Shifter
- 110-Volt/400-Watt Power Inverter – Instrument Panel (SuperCab and SuperCrew®)
- Powerpoint, 12v – Front
- Powerpoint, 12v – Rear (SuperCab and SuperCrew®)
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Fully Flat Load Floor (SuperCab and SuperCrew® models)
- Gauges and Metres – Fuel, Oil Pressure, Engine Coolant Temperature; Speedometer, Odometer
- Grab Handles (A-Pillar) – Front, Driver – and Passenger-Side
- Grab Handles (B-Pillar) – Rear, Driver- and Passenger-Side (SuperCrew® only)
- Horn, Dual-Note
- Intermittent Windshield Wipers
- Power Door Locks with Flip Key and Integrated Key Transmitter Keyless Entry Including Auto-Lock
- Intelligent Access with Push-Button Start
- Outside Temperature Display
- Overhead Console (SuperCab and SuperCrew®)
- Power-Adjustable Pedals with Memory
- Rearview Mirror, Auto-Dimming
- Steering Wheel, Manual Tilt/Telescoping
- Steering Wheel – Black Leather-Wrapped
- Visors with Driver- and Passenger-Side Illuminated Covered Mirrors
- Woodgrain-Style Interior Trim Accents
- AM/FM Stereo
- FordPass Connect™ (Wi-Fi Hotspot)
- Seats – Front – Bucket Seats with Centre Flow-Through Console and Floor Shifter, Leather-Trimmed
- Seats – Front, 10-way Power Driver and Front Passenger
- Seats – Front, Driver Memory
- Seats – Front, Heated and Ventilated
- Seats – Rear – 60/40 Flip-Up Split Bench with Elongated Cushion (SuperCrew®)
- Seats – Rear – 60/40 Flip-Up Split Bench (SuperCab)
F-150 LARIAT EXTERIOR OPTIONS
Select Your Configuration
Choose Your Model
- 18″ Machined-Aluminum Wheels with Flash Grey Pockets
- Rear Doors – Swing Open 170° (SuperCab only)
- Bumper, Front – Chrome
- Bumper, Rear – Chrome
- Easy Fuel® Capless Fuel Filler
- Fascia, Front – Body-Colour
- Cargo Light, Integrated with Centre High-Mounted Stop Light (CHMSL)
- Daytime Running Lights
- Autolamp – Automatic On/Off Headlamps with Rainlight Windshield Wipers
- Fog Lamps – Halogen
- Grille – Chrome Two-Bar Style with Four Minor Bars, Black Surround and Background Mesh
- Handles, Door and Tailgate – Body-Colour Bezel with Body-Colour Strap
- Tow Hooks – Front, Two (4×4 only)
- Hooks, Cargo Box Tie-Down (4)
- LED Box Lighting
- Halogen Headlights
- Side Mirrors – Heated
- Side Mirrors – Integrated Turn Signal
- Side Mirrors – LED Security Approach Lights
- Side Mirrors – Auto Dimming Feature (Driver’s Side)
- Side Mirrors – LED Mirror-Mounted Spotlights
- Side Mirrors – Memory Feature
- Side Mirrors – Power Folding
- Side Mirrors – Power Adjust
- Side Mirrors, Skull Caps – Body-colour
- Spare Tire Carrier – Rear Underframe
- Tailgate, Power Lock
- Remote Release Tailgate
- Wheel-Lip Mouldings – Body colour
- Windows – First-Row – Power
- Windows – First-Row – Power, One-Touch Up/Down Driver and Passenger
- Windows – Second-Row – Power (SuperCab and SuperCrew®)
- Window – Rear – Power sliding Glass with Privacy Tint and Defroster
- Automatic High Beams
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Airbags – Front, Driver and Passenger
- Airbags – Front, Driver and Passenger Seat-Mounted Side
- Airbags – Safety Canopy® Side Curtains
- Brakes – Four-Wheel Disc Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
- Curve Control
- Rear View Camera with Dynamic Hitch Assist
- Safety Belts – Active Restraint System (ARS), Three-Point Manual Lap/Shoulder Belts with Height Adjusters, Pretensioners and Energy Management Retractors on Outside Front Positions.
- Rear View Camera
- Spare Tire and Wheel Lock
- SecuriLock® Passive Anti-Theft System
- Perimeter Anti-Theft Alarm
- SOS Post-Crash Alert System™
- Remote Keyless Entry System
- SecuriCode™ Keyless Entry Keypad, Driver’s Side
- Remote Start System
- Advanced Security Pack
- Class IV Trailer Hitch Receiver
- Trailer Tow Package
- Ford Co-Pilot360™
2021 Powerboost Hybrid Engine, A Smart Tuck for a Smart World
The Ford 3.5L PowerBoost is a hybrid V6 engine from Ford Motor Company currently used to power full-size pickup trucks. Featuring a dual overhead cam (DOHC) design, in a V configuration and twin turbos, the Ford 3.5L PowerBoost system is part Ford PowerBoost family of hybrid engines initially introduced in 2021 for the 2021 Ford F-150.
Ford 3.5L PowerBoost – Overview
|Configuration & cylinders||V configuration, six cylinders|
|Vehicle engine orientation||Longitudinal|
|Valve configuration||Dual overhead cam (DOHC)|
|Assembly sites||Brook Park, Ohio|
|Predecessor||Ford 3.5L EcoBoost (indirect)|
In the 2021 Ford F-150, the 3.5L PowerBoost system is comprised of two primary components:
- The twin-turbo 3.5L EcoBoost engine, and
- A hybrid-electric system, consisting of:
- 1.5 kWh lithium ion battery pack that’s liquid cooled and engineered to minimize weight
- An electric motor making 41 horsepower (35 kW) integrated directly to the Ford designed, engineered and assembled 10-speed automatic transmission. It is mounted between the frame rails below the load floor with a unique vibration isolation system, leaving passenger space and cargo area uncompromised.
- Regenerative braking
The hybrid system does not allow the truck to drive in full electric mode, but it does work in unison with the gasoline engine to improve fuel economy while also delivering more power. A belt-driven starter is used for water pump and belt starter motor.
Ford claims an EPA-estimated range of approximately 700 miles on a single tank of gas, while allowing the hybrid F-150 to tow up to 12,000 pounds and support heavy payload requirements.
The PowerBoost hybrid powertrain also enables the ProPower Onboard – a new mobile generator designed to meet the power demands of work and recreation.
2.4kW or 7.2kW inverter converts direct current from the high voltage battery to standard alternating current, useful for tools and devices. 120V and/or 240V outlets capable of supplying 2.4kW or 7.2kW available Pro Power Onboard.
Ford 3.5L PowerBoost – Specifications
|Max power @ RPM||TBD|
|Max torque @ RPM||TBD|
|Cylinder Block||Cast aluminum|
Ford 3.5L PowerBoost Engine – Vehicle Applications
|MODEL YEAR||VEHICLE||TRANSMISSION||DRIVE WHEELS||HORSEPOWER (HP) @ RPM||TORQUE (LB-FT) @ RPM|
|2021 – present||Ford F-150||Ten-speed automatic||RWD / 4WD||TBD||TBD|
FORD CoPilot Demo
Can't Resist Driver Assist!
Sport Meets Science
Ford F-150’s Technology that has your Back(up)
Factory-installed trailer brake controller that synchronizes truck and trailer brakes, well you would expect that when you purchase your truck. But, wait, there’s more, so so much more:
AdvanceTrac(R) with Roll Stability Control is standard with the F-150.
Additional Available features include:
ProTrailer Backup Assist: synchronizes truck and trailer while backing up
Dynamic Hitch assist: offers a line of sight guide directing the hitch ball to the trailer receiver
Smart Trailer Tow Connector: alerts driver to trailer connectivity issues and lighting problems
BLIS(R) Blind Spot Information System with trailer coverage: alerts the driver when a vehicle is in the blind spot, or alongside the trailer.
CLASS EXCLUSIVE ProTrailer Backup Assist: as easy as rotating a knob on the dash. The F-150 is the first pickup truck to offer this feature.
Technology Connects the 2021 Ford F-150 Family
SYNCH-4 is standard in all models. This includes connectivity for Apple & Androids, hands-free voice controls, real time cloud based mapping and more than 10,000 hours of on-demand content
Available Package Options
(Note, some packages INCLUDE these features, check with your representative.)
Ford Co-Pilot 360(TM) helps navigate crowded roads.
Pre-collision assist with automatic emergency braking auto high-beam headlamps and a rear view camera.
Features include BLIS(TM) (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert and Trailer Coverage,
FordPass Connect(TM), (Wi-Fi Hotspot) FordPass, A Smarter Way to Move(TM) and Beyond Key FordPass options are all mobile apps that help you contact your
Dealer & Roadside Assistance, find parking and compare fuel prices along your route. This app will also help you:
- Remotely start your vehicle, and schedule recurring start times
- Lock & unlock your vehicle remotely
- Check your approximate odometer reading, fuel level & distance to empty
- Contact a FordGuide from your app to help plan your trip.
- Create a WiFi hotspot with the ability to connect up to 10 devices at once, with a range of up to 50 feet outside of the vehicle.
360 Degree Camera with Split View Display – This feature uses four cameras – one in the grille, one in the tailgate and one under each of the side view mirrors.
The system stitches the images together and displays them on a centre stack screen, great for manoeuvering in tight spaces and blind driveways.
Also helpful is a dynamic hitch assist that provides dynamic sight line to help direct your hitch ball to the trailer coupler.
In the Tough Times of COVID-19,
PPE’s are Built Ford Tough
The Ford company has a rich history of civic contributions. The infamous spring of 2020 provided yet another opportunity for Ford to step up, and innovate on behalf of millions of health care workers at risk of catching COVID19.
Adriane Price and his team of Ford engineers worked alongside United Auto Workers (UAW) volunteers to answer the challenge to re-purpose Ford F-150 components at an automobile production plant, get creative, and build much needed Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) for the healthcare sector.
Despite the fact that vehicle programs generally take years to develop, once the concept of re-purposing for production of Personal Protective Equipment, the force of the phrase “Built Ford Tough” came roaring to the surface.
“These front line defenders, they go into war every day with only a mask as their shield and intubation pipes as their sword. They are the real heroes,” said Price, who usually overhauls auto plants to accommodate different manufacturing processes. “We are here to support them.”
In 100 days, the floor was set up to produce over 72 million pieces of PPE needed to meet growing medical demand.
Yes, this is the age of innovation and the age of automation, BUT, these items did NOT make themselves.
All levels of team FORD – from engineers to fabricators, to line workers, stepped up to volunteer on PROJECT APOLLO. The project was aptly named after the movie Apollo 13, in which the engineers are all set scrambling to create a crisis averting solution with ‘found’ parts.
During the first dark days of the pandemic, when equipment was sparse, and demand for PPE’s was high, UAW members volunteered to go into the plants and find suitable materials to create the face shields, ventilators and Powered Air Purifying Respirators (PAPR).
To date, this breaks down to 45 million facemasks, 20 million face shields, 50,000 patient ventilators, over 32,000 powered air-purifying respirators and 104 million washable isolation gowns.
Ford in the Family
F-150 Living Large
Ford’s 2021 F150 meets the demands of your active lifestyle. You work hard, and play harder.
You get up at dawn to pick up materials, toss them in the back of your F-150, your trusty workhorse, and then head out to set up for your crew at the construction site.
While they are unloading, you pop open your laptop to download the latest work order revisions, scheduling changes and missed supply requisitions.
Gotta head back in to the building supply store, grab more grout, and an additional case of tile needed to finish off the foyer.
PING.. another email – the lumber order has arrived, so you can swing by there to grab that as well.
Hmm, with tools, and materials, the back is filling up, but so far, it’s nothing close to the 1460.56kg (3.220 lbs) your hoss can handle; just as well, you’ve done enough heavy lifting for one morning.
You finish up emails, and head back in to town. As you near the main road, your SYNC4 lets you know the road you are headed towards is congested, and offers an alternate route.
Meanwhile, your construction lead just texted that he’s running late ’cause his daughter missed the bus. He’s got the generator in the back of his truck. On last year’s project, that would be a major hitch,
BUT, not to worry. You have the power.
Pro Power Onboard, that is. With your 3.5L PowerBoost(TM) Full Hybrid V6 engine, you can plug in, use your truck like a mobile generator.
It’s Friday, and pretty close to close-up-shop-o’clock. Once you’ve checked all the boxes in your weekly work to-do list, you can bring up your weekend plans list.
Ok, gotta empty out the tools, don’t forget the blueprints and work-orders stashed in the under-seat locker, put them in the garage and load up your camping gear
You are busy, and you’ve got this. And FORD remembers. We are keeping your dreams alive with innovative work/life balance solutions.
Available in all wheel drive, with a hybrid option, the F-150 truck delivers exceptional performance and handling.
Unlike a mechanical system, the secondary axle can be used to provide additional power, not just a redirection of the power that would otherwise go to the primary axle.
Bring the family. The super cab or super crew models feature impressive interior layout and has plenty of head and leg room so everyone will enjoy the ride.
Unique under-seat storage, just lift the bench seat in the back of the cab to reveal a full length lockable storage space. Your challenge is to determine who gets dibs for what… fishing rods, or blueprints.
The PowerBoost(TM) hybrid power-train also enables Pro-Power Onboard(TM) a new generator designed to meet the power needs of work and recreation. The vehicle has one outlet in the cab, handy for plugging in your laptop, or charging iPads. Then, in the bed of the truck, you have another set of plug-ins. Once the work week is complete, you can unplug the power saw and stapler and load up your blender and karaoke speaker for some fun around the campfire.
Great Grilles & Wonder Wheels
Given the vast range of trim, interior and exterior packages, you have yet another customization option.
Wheels! It’s all about the wheels. Which style best sets off your F-150 and showcases YOUR personality?
The 2021 year offers a choice of 13 wheel options to mix and match between packages.
WAIT!, you are not done yet. You also have options for the front of your F-150. 2021 brings 11 different grille options. Dual or single row? Sport or shiny? You have choices… Here’s your opportunity to create your personal vehicle statement.
Of course, if you get caught up in option overwhelm, our product experts are happy to help you choose the best option for your F-150. Bring your list, your ideas and your questions, and we’ll set you up in the F-150 that works best for YOU!